This is solidarity
This is your leader
2. MR PIERCE ON ‘BALANCED’ JOURNALISM…
“The change in tone was the overall theme of this morning’s coverage. The Washington Post noted the president’s “muscular but measured tone.” The New York Times said Trump “appeared restrained and serious.” At the top of the hour on “Morning Edition, the anchor took note of the president’s “more optimistic tone.”
Yeah, those assessments were really stupid and make me wonder if the people writing them actually listened to that pack of lies. Judging that speech on the basis of performance is massive journalistic malpractice. And, if NPR really thought the speech had any kind of an “optimistic tone” at all, then Morning Edition is two tote bags short of a spring fundraiser.
[POYNTER] Watch the references to Trump’s physical appearance and the quirks of his speech.
One of the “quirks of his speech” is that he lies like most people breathe. Is there a strategy you have for handling this?”
Blah, blah, blah…
3. COLD WAR II?
Cold to hot…
“… the primary reason for Trump, for Brexit, and for growing right-wing über-nationalism throughout Europe is that…
prevailing neoliberal policies have destroyed the economic security and future of hundreds of millions of people, rendering them highly susceptible to scapegoating and desperate, in a nothing-to-lose sort of way, for any type of radical change, no matter how risky or harmful that change might be.
But all of that gets to be ignored, all of the self-reckoning is avoided, as long we get ourselves to believe that some omnipotent foreign power is behind it all.”
4. In his quiet and effective way, James Fallows demurs from the chicken shit press that called the Bedlamite POTUS ‘presidential’—
“…But because this was by Donald Trump, and because stylistically it was such a contrast to his other big-deal rhetorical presentations, it is in my view receiving a significant grading-on-the-curve benefit. For other presidents, sticking close to the pre-released text was a routine expectation.
…I’ll pass over Trump’s inclusion of a group prominently featured at the Republican convention: relatives of those who were killed by illegal immigrants. This is hateful in my view—you’d have a much larger pool to draw from if you were choosing relatives of those killed by domestic violence, or by drunk drivers, or by accidental or intended gunfire, or by opioids or heroin, or by suicide and depression, or by other modern evils—but I know this (and the related, odious VOICE program) are part of the Trump brand…”
The father of the Navy SEAL killed in useless incursion into a sovereign nation
5. For those who have not yet come to the realization that checking in with Chas Pierce on a daily basis is a useful balm to the vexations generated by the neo-fascist regime of the Bedlamite prexy and his goon squad of predators, thieves, mountebanks and sub-humans I offer you this—
“Presidential, was it?
Even I didn’t believe they could lower the bar far enough that an otherwise sensible fellow like Van Jones would take the indecent exploitation of a war widow’s fresh sorrow and turn it into Lincoln’s Second Inaugural. Even I didn’t believe they could sink the bar far enough into Middle Earth that otherwise critical observers would look at a pile of deceptive leaves and see a coherent tree. Every day in every way, this administration and this president* taxes the far limits of even my cynicism. For example, it is not true that nobody profits from “lawless chaos.” How do you think Vladimir Putin created the gangster’s paradise that helped Rex Tillerson and Wilbur Ross get even more wealthy?
When one calls that speech “presidential,” whose presidency are you summoning? Pierce? Buchanan? Rufus T. Firefly? Jesus, people, at least try to sound like you graduated middle school.”
The Shadow President
Barry and Michelle hit the number
7. A person who is a Facebook friend, who I don’t know, announced he had reached the 5000 friend threshold. I responded,”You should join a support group.” Another Facebook friend who I don’t know ‘liked’ my rejoinder. Tell me this isn’t a little nuts…
8. Judging from the unreliable sampling of my Facebook timeline, I am struck by the what seems to me to be much wasted words and emotional energy. Much of it is eloquent and heartfelt and if they help energize a resistance to an apparent neo-fascist regime, great. Fabulous. Rock on. Yes, we can. Power to the Peaceful. Keep in mind the not oft-quoted remark by Edmund Burke, “Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.
11. POTUS 45’s lying liar causes a stir—big fuckin’ deal—
There is fake news and then there is “who cares”news…